I thought I’d share my journey towards living a sustainable, eco friendly life with a toddler and a baby on the way. There are many limitations to what I can actually do, as I am renting a house (so can’t make green upgrades and changes) and I am very reliant on using a car every day. I believe despite our limitations we can all do something!
I already do the basics such as
- using reusable cups, bottles and shopping bags;
- using soap bars instead of liquid soaps;
- using bio degradable wipes or cloths for my daughter;
- always looking for natural, eco friendly alternatives to plastic (tooth brushes, toddler tableware etc);
- choosing loose weight fruit and veggies instead of plastic wrapped;
- avoiding synthetic clothing;
- using a green energy supplier;
- buying used items such as buggies etc
However I find there are specific struggles in trying to be eco friendly with small children, such as;
- celebrations. There is so much waste when arranging a birthday party and also other celebrations like Christmas;
- eco nappies. There aren’t many brands to choose from and having been disappointed by the brand we have been using I have struggled to find a brand providing eco friendly pull-ups in my daughter’s size;
- yogurt pouches. I have no time or energy to do my own refill ones pouches. I use at least one pouch a day which cannot be recycled. Not good;
- toys. Like most families with small children, we have too many toys, especially plastic ones;
- food waste. My daughter will routinely reject meals or finish less than half of a meal;
I will update this post with my victories and failures as I try to figure out how to tackle these challenges!
Adding a picture of me and my daughter!