We’ve covered some serious territory at Better Century in the last two weeks. It seems that getting to the bottom of the true impacts from flying is not as simple as it seems, but natural solutions to climate change seem to be pretty straightforward! We’ve been looking at how to decarbonise outdoor sound systems and how we make Christmas less impactful.
Check out the learnings, inspiration shared in the last two weeks and the help that’s still needed… please come and chip in if you have the answer!
- Air flights - what is the overall pie chart situation? - as a community we have answered this question about how much impact flights really have.
- Discussions about growth and the environment; George Monbiot on Frankie Boyle’s New World Order, and question from @Sachi Is ‘Green Growth’ Possible or a Pipe Dream
- The state of the environment; Climate change ‘accelerating’, say scientists & UN Report
- Natural solutions to climate change; a film about natural solutions to climate change, tree planting campaign and use of oceans.
- Over 100 members have joined in the last two week, we had an excellent festival of sustainable business and we have over 311 commitments to our challenges.
- Cheap split railway tickets- awesome find! - @Tom shares a great online platform that helps cuts costs on muli stop train journeys
- Amount of CO2 sequestered by a square km of forest - question from @russell, more input needed.
- How do we make Christmas better for the world? - input is being sought on how to make Christmas more sustainable. With input we could make a Better Guide on the subject.
- Portable solar applications @James is seeking support in using solar to power sound equipment.
- Recommendations for solar panel providers and installers? we want to have the ultimate peer curated list - please chip in.
- Eco Friendly Pillows and Mattresses - @Sachi is looking for products
- Greener Office Solutions - @Greensurfer is looking for some input from others about how to make offices more sustainable.
Take World Changing Challenges - Let’s get on with it!
- Pledge to keep your carbon emissions to half that of an average citizen on Earth by 2030
- Low Carbon Home Challenge - write what you’re doing to keep carbon emissions down
- Low Carbon Transport Challenge - Keep your transport emissions to half the UK average citizen
- Plastic Waste Challenge - Keep your plastic waste to half the UK average citizen