Is organic food really better for the environment?

I’ve been doing some research into the impact of different methods of food production and I came across this world in data article. I personally buy organic milk as I want my kids to not be exposed to too many chemicals used in production which could come through fatty acids but have never looked at an analysis of environmental impact.

It appears that in many cases the environmental impact from organic food is greater (source; world in data), but there is little about pesticides etc.

As anyone got any additional data to share about this or critique of this piece of information I’ve found?

I’m puzzled by the idea that nutrient-rich run-off could be worse using organic methods. I suppose it depends what you count as organic - framrmers spraying fresh chicken-shit on fields is definitely bad. OK, I’m not a scientist, but I suspect this isn’t taking into account the importance of soil health, mini-beasts, etc.

And why is the ‘Land Use’ bit based on usage of habitable land? What are they counting as habitable land? We’re building on flood plains now, which would probably be better used as pasture, or woodland. I can understand that one query is about using land for agriculture when it could be turned over to woodland/re-wilding - but we do also need to take into account the biodiversity crisis.

Overall, I feel this article raises more questions than answers.

1 Like