Being A Catalyst is beginning of change

There are so many definitions for this word catalyst but this is my favourite. A Catalyst Is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change . First time I heard this word in my chemistry class in my high school one of the catalyst I still remember is Alum (used to purify water, it collects all the impurities in cleaning process and makes the molecule heavy to settle down at the bottom of the tank)

This blog is not intending you to give you any chemistry lessons. I would like to discuss how I came across this word again after 15 years of my educational journey. Next time I heard this word was from my Professor during my Master’s. This word ‘catalyst’ fascinated me when it can be an noun, my professor encouraged me to use this word to describe my project in final jury.

Why need a Catalyst?

In the present environment we have more substances give out Carbon to our surrounding but less substance that absorb Carbon here is a small image explaining amount of carbon emission in our present environment, produced by our domestic use, transport and factory produces etc. In this case let’s refer the carbon absorption elements as a catalyst like trees and grasses. As a responsible society we need to introduce more of it to compensate to our luxury life-style.

1 Like

Why need a Catalyst?

In the present environment we have more substances give out Carbon to our surrounding but less substance that absorb Carbon here is a small image explaining amount of carbon emission in our present environment, produced by our domestic use, transport and factory produces etc.

In this case let’s refer the carbon absorption elements as a catalyst like trees and grasses. As a responsible society we need to introduce more of it to compensate to our luxury life-style.

Can we be the Catalyst?

Of-course we can, just imagine you being the change in the environment without making any change to your-self. Each one of us have the potential to be a recognizable catalyst in our home, family, community, society, city, continent and on our green blue planet.

It is just at a distance of taking that one small step. The message from this picture below is having more carbon absorptions than carbon emission.

As you can see in the picture below planting more trees, using less fossil fuel, ect. You can find this information in any website.

1 Like

Totally agree. Humans are the catalyst for change, as is our biosphere. I also thinking hydrogen used as a means to power transport, fix nitrogen for fertilizer and to supplement fired heating systems could be an amazing catalyst!

1 Like

IDEA can make a difference-

I would like to share an IDEA we all know by 2050, 90% of world populations will be residing in the cities and hence we need more better and productive infrastructure. If we can design all our infrastructure that can absorb carbon emission present in our environment because buildings in the cities have more surface area, can be made more productive. We already have plants growing in building surfaces it’s just a temp fix can’t be applicable in all regions on this planet. As it is been that one third of the land mass on earth is covered with deserts. There is never less an opportunity to each one of us to be a catalyst to start the catalytic process.

To Get more ideas on Sustainable Life-style Follow link

Very Productive & creative comment Tom, Thank you for new perspective.

Kind Regards Nikhila KN