Your Experiences of Using Electric Vehicles (EVs)

This topic is for people to share their experiences of using electric vehicles.

It will be super helpful for anyone considering buying an electric car. We hope we can get experiences from every type of vehicle out there and then we’ll set up different threads for those different cars.

At some point we’ll write a full ‘Ultimate Guide to Finding the right Electric Vehicle’

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: My journey to an BMW i3

This is totally awesome - that @i3Stormtrooper! The analysis on how you chose the car in the end it amazing, and the stuff about Tesla is super interesting… it’s been my kind of dream car up until your comment.

Thought for the peeps out there it’s worthwhile sharing what these cars look like:

Renault Zoe 2

Nissan Leaf

Tesla Model

BMW i3 - the chosen car!

2 posts were split to a new topic: The flight of the Tesla Model X

A post was split to a new topic: The economic smooth running of a VW e-UP

A post was split to a new topic: The Nissan Leaf Trip

A post was split to a new topic: The EV journey to a E-Niro

A post was split to a new topic: Voyaging with a 40kwh Nissan Leaf

Is this true in people’s experience?

A post was split to a new topic: The journey to a speedy Tesla

A post was split to a new topic: Getting a second hand Renault Zoe for my commute

I’m not sure as I hadn’t had a car for over 4 years when we bought ours, so had to start from scratch with zero no claims bonus. The insurance certainly isn’t cheaper than a petrol/diesel car but I don’t think I found it any more expensive than I expected. Having said that, LV are advertising an EV specific insurance and the quote I got on that is more than I’m paying at the moment!

A post was split to a new topic: Touring the UK in an IONIQ

I’m just starting to research electric vehicles and these comments are really helpful. I did not realise there was so much choice. Has anyone experience of the self-charging vehicles (which I think would overcome the range problem)? I was thinking of the Lexus EV for example.

If your looking for a secondhand EV we just got our first -2017 30kW Leaf Tekna- for a great price (under 15K with 8 years battery warranty) from https://drive-green.co.uk/ load of EVs in stock. A really nice company paired with owner Richards other company ‘completely green’ has loads of great info and stuff matching up with the community aims methinks. Puuuuump it.

2 Likes

Good work Greg!!!

1 Like

the self-charging thing is advertising trickery. Longer range is being deployed by many brands imminently… I recommend this video and the channel in general- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQu_ux3y6M

2 Likes

Hello,

I recently sold my BMW i3 (purchased second hand in 2016) - I recorded all expenses incurred over the three years of ownership and have published this in the hope that it’s helpful for anyone considering getting an electric vehicle. I can’t charge at home and rely on the public charge networks, but even with this, the fuel worked out at around 2.19p per mile. It’s over here in a blog post:

Hope this is helpful to someone here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is great. Thanks Tom!

Hi everyone who’s contributed to this topic.

We’re looking to move this topic into a series of topics later this week if you’re all agreeable?

I’m looking to create the following topic titles

@i3Stormtrooper - My journey to an BMW i3

@Richard_Butler - The flight of the Tesla Model X

@Max_B - The economic smooth running of a VW e-UP

@Heatherdlc - The Nissan Leaf Trip (or could add it to your existing blog?)

@satnam - The long-distance Tesla tourer

@John_Riley - The EV journey to a E-Niro

@Kerena_Fussell - Voyaging with a 40kwh Nissan Leaf

@Myk_Debbage - The journey to a speedy Tesla

@ben.langley - Getting a second hand Renault Zoe for my commute

@Bluesmanuk - Touring the UK in an IONIQ

Hope you are all happy that we do this. It will make your posts more findable and promiant and also give you a place where you can add to the topic, which we hope you will be happy to do!

1 Like