What are your opinions on Brexit and its potential impact on wildlife conservation in the UK?

Major social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and Reddit (and many more !) all have users that have expressed their views on this political debate.

Almost all posts, that I myself have viewed generally comment on the lack of information on the constant extension of Brexit? Whilst there are fewer views on what Brexit would mean for conserving the endemic habitat types and species the UK possesses. Most views on this topic focus mainly on UK Fisheries and legislation such as the Common Fisheries Policy. What about pollution??

As a part-time retail assistant, I assume many people do not understand the reason behind the 5p charge. Is this true?

I have attached a link to a page on Friends of the Earth: https://friendsoftheearth.uk/brexit/brexit-news-beaches-and-wildlife-risk-nodeal

The link provides a conclusion of what EU legislation provides in regard to protecting the environment and wildlife in the UK. Whilst also outlining key points about what Brexit would mean for some of the UK’s vital landscapes (Please if you can, and agree, sign the Brexit Petition!)

I have also attached a report published by Friends of the Earth for you to read on their recommendations for the environmental bill in parliament. Its a very interesting read:

• It discusses the UKs economy and its share in environmental impacts globally.

• Outlines major drivers of UK species declines and what should be done to reduce this.

• Addresses air quality and the import and exports of chemical supplies as well as use.

• Includes what should be done after Brexit in regard to trade and boundaries, whilst also including that carrying out these improvements on environmental legislation should also be informative for the general public.

It is not an incredibly long document, and is very interesting to read as it clarifies the main problems that we as the public face. Which is that we are not being given enough information on current environmental affairs and what is being done in regard to major drivers of environmental decline in the UK. The report addresses that we should not be using current legislation which is maintaining this continuous decline. Instead we should be looking to alleviate this pressure and instead improve threatened habitat types and species in the UK.

Please do not hesitate to reply, I look forward to hearing your views on this matter!! Non-UK residents are also very welcome!!

I could not upload the pdf version of the report, but here is the link!: https://cdn.friendsoftheearth.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/What%20we%20need%20from%20a%20Westminster%20Environment%20Bill_0.pdf

2 Likes