How to Reduce Use of Single Use Plastics and How Have You Done It?

The Burger Inn in Chesham was also happy to oblige (pic below) and I’ve also noticed that Waitrose has put up signs stating that they accept your Tupperware. I’ve also successfully used Tupperware at Sainsbury’s deli counter.

1 Like

I’ve started buying organic bread in Waitrose as it seems to be the same only place I know of where I can get organic bread in a paper bag! And he whole meal brown loaf is only 30p - that’s a quarter of the cost of other organic loaves available!

1 Like

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328145376_It’s_In_The_Bag

An analytical piece on the long-term effect of the 5p single-use plastic law in the UK.

i just (accidentally) discovered plastic-free tights! decided to try out new brand Snag (www.snagtights.com) because they have developed new (and seems to me useful and logical) approach to sizing. when delivery arrived today individual pairs were wrapped in tissue paper and all sent together in brown paper envelope. really impressed. haven’t actually worn them yet, but look good and delighted to find no plastic for the first time ever!

1 Like

Some good news on the plastics front.

http://community.bettercentury.org/t/a-beginning-made-with-removing-plastic-pollution-from-the-oceans/1666

I’ve replaced my plastic shower buff-thing with a flannel

2 Likes

I’ve gotten much better at carrying my water bottle, a set of bamboo cutlery and some fabric napkins with me. I always shop with re-usable bags. I even wash out and re-use ziplock bags much to my families embarrassment. Woven cotton dishcloths for washing up, have recently discovered coconut fibre pads for scrubbing pots. In Vancouver we lived within walking distance of a wonderful packaging free grocery store, you could bring your own containers and bags and fill up on everything from dry goods to hair conditioner to hummous, jam, spices and peanut butter. It was the best, although some stuff was very expensive and the hippy deodorant combined with the refillable hippy clothes washing detergent did add up to my family all smelling a little more human than the usual modern standard. :smile:. It was amazing how much it reduced our recyling and trash output. Oh my days I miss that shop!

2 Likes