Environmental Awareness Days: Are they effective?

September is drawing to an end and I couldn’t help but notice all the environmental awareness days/ events that surfaced during the month. Both in the UK and across the globe.

Among them were Zero Emissions Day, World Health Day and WRAP UK’s National Recycle Week. Add to this the Global Climate Strike and the UN Climate Summit!

The latter two culminated in real world events that made news headlines. But I’d love to hear from you guys, as an engaged community in this domain, on the effectiveness of these kind of awareness days in general.

What do you guys think? Do you get involved in things like recycling week? Do you think they’re useful in raising awareness? Do they result in passive social media consumption or real action?

Would be super interested to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

Personally I dont get involved in specific weeks or events. However I support a local oxfam shop by promoting their stock on social media and I also lead a group that planted the first city centre apple orchard in my city as part of a wider project to create a sustainable park.

That’s a super interesting perspective. Feel free to pop any links to the shop/ iniatives below. I’d love to check them out and support.