Increase Biodiversity in Your Garden or Around your Home

We’ve got a focus on preserving biodiversity at Better Century. Has anyone got recommendations of how you can do this around the house. Have you got photos to share of what you’ve done. Has anyone measured the impact of these measures?

Would be great to hear what people have done.

2 Likes

We’ve gone about putting bird boxes up, have left wild flower area in the garden and have a hole in our fence to help hedgehogs move around. Last year we found a hedgehog in the garden and we get tonnes of bees and birds, it really feels great to witness it around you.

If people are looking for things to do there is some useful advice on the Wildlife Trusts website here;

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/gardening

• Lots more flowers over a longer season (insects and therefore birds and bats)
  • Scrub areas (all flora and fauna)
  • Dry stone walling/ piles of rocks (invertebrates, reptiles)
  • Created a fenced off area of the pond so the ducks can’t get to it and eat everything (amphibians/invertebrates)
  • wood piles (invertebrates/amphibians/small mammals)
  • Bird feeders and nest boxes (birds (obvs.) and also lots of invertebrates and a wood mouse using the nest boxes)
  • Letting the ivy grow, flower fruit (inverts, birds, bats)
  • improving soil by top dressing with organic matter and using no dig method (keeps soil structure intact and therefore microbiota)

I’ll add photos at some point.

1 Like

This is my first attempt at growing wildflowers. I scattered the seeds in February and raked them in. The area has flourished and there are :honeybee: a plenty. Area is approx 40ft by 15ft. There’s loads more buds waiting for the elusive thing we called summertime. I’m really surprised anything’s grown as we live on top of a hill and are very open to all the elements particularly winds

2 Likes

Uploading: 4250FAF2-6686-4849-B21D-BF1F56988552.jpeg… Here’s my wildlife pond which I created 3 weeks ago.

1 Like

1 Like