Clothes and Extending Their Lives

I really like the European model of mending clothes rather than throwing away and buying yet more. Anybody got any interesting experiences of this? Whilst in France for a couple of years I had endless old dears, not my wife, fixing trousers and jackets that have gone on for many years thereafter.

2 Likes

I agree - I’ve been saving old colourful socks to use to cut up to make patches for worn out trousers. The great thing is that it makes the clothing look more interesting!
I’m in two minds as to whether clothing with plastics in them, like polyester, should be mended…with each wash particles of plastic come off and go into the wastewater system. The more worn they get, the more particles come off so it would seem almost better to send them to landfill. Thoughts welcome

3 Likes

Just seen the UN are having a big push on this. It’s crazy how much water and carbon clothes use… Check out their press release (10,000 litres of water used to make one pair of jeans!!!):

http://web.unep.org/environmentassembly/un-alliance-sustainable-fashion-addresses-damage-‘fast-fashion’

1 Like

I personally like to stick with the old classic of shopping in a charity shop. That way the clothes you don’t want can live longer and other peoples clothes live longer with you.

3 Likes

Nearly all my clothes now come from charity shops since I lost 3 stone and can fit into them :grinning::grinning:

1 Like