Net- Zero Energy building

This is my favourite topic, as this is just not theory discussed with organizations and other authorities, this can be implemented in your real lifestyle, by taking very simple and easy steps. As the word say’s Net- Zero Energy Buildings, meaning buildings consuming zero energy this will be the basic understanding, it is not true without implement the use of the word Net from Net-Zero Energy Building. The required energy by the building is produced on site or from local renewable energy resources. This study is been undertaken to apply the principles to a normal house and making it Energy/ Environment Efficient building.

Nikhila Buildings (existing and new) will have to go carbon negative/solar positive (ie better than net zero) as other sectors will not be able to get to zero in time (agriculture, manufacture/industry, power generation, military, health, education, transport).

Secondly, building work (new buildings, repairs, conversions) will have to be net zero carbon. This will be very difficult due to the carbon emitted in making cement/concrete, steel, aluminium, glass, bricks and tiles. there will have to be increased use of sustainable wood (sequestering carbon), lime, natural slate and fibrous sheet materials. There will also probably need to be more subdivisions of existing under-occupied property than new building.

Dantheplan

Dantheplan,

Thank you for your comment I agree with your input. the reason i am interested in this topic of Net- Zero Energy Buildings. As I am an Architect for me its challenging to achieve a holistic design for present and future of construction industry.

I am sure it is not easy to achieve it as we have travelled very far away from our roots, if we look at our history of construction industry it is not impossible. It all depends upon the perspective we look at.

Kind Regards Nikhila KN

Technical Definition from UKGBC:

Net-Zero Energy Building has multiple definitions this one is from UKGBC.

1.1 Net- Zero Carbon - Construction

1.2 Net- Zero Carbon - Operational Energy

1.3 Net- Zero Carbon – Whole Life (yet to be defined)

Net- Zero CARBON - Construction

When the amount of carbon emission associated with a building product and construction stages up to practical completion is zero or negative, through the use of offsets or the net export of on- site renewable energy.

Net- Zero Carbon – Operational Energy

When the amount of carbon emissions associated with the building’s operational energy on an annual basis is zero or negative. A net zero carbon building is highly energy efficient and powered from on-site and/ or off-site renewable energy sources, with any remaining carbon balance offset.

Action taken from UK Parliament:

In May 2019, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC)—as requested by the Government—set out a blueprint for how the UK could viably build a net zero greenhouse gas emission economy by 2050, to pursue the 1.5 degrees aspiration of the Paris Agreement.In June, Parliament enshrined into law the net zero target, which commits the UK to reduce emissions by “at least” 100 per cent below 1990 levels in 2050. This will require deep emissions reductions across the economy, with any residual sources offset by removals of CO₂ from the atmosphere. So, from this we understand it is an issue that we all need to participate towards net-zero energy building.

Energy Efficiency and Net Zero Energy Building:

Energy Efficiency can be calculated by Type of property, Age, building system and methods, size, heating system, insulation, double glazed, type of lighting system used. All these categories I’ve taken into account to produce energy efficient certificate in UK for domestic buildings we all our familiarised with the certificate. Average UK homes how the energy efficient bands between E and C. To improve the Energy efficiency in the residential properties the key elements are

Double or triple glazing- this will not only improve the indoor temperature also reduced noise penetrations.

Loft insulation- as we all know hot air rises so a lot of installation (Will prevent heat escaping this will result in your electricity bills. The loft insulation thickness should be minimum 270 MM.

Wall Insulations- cavity wall, is the 2 walls with cavity (gap) in between can be filled with polystyrene, mineral wool or foam. The wall insulation will help heat to retain within building.

Efficient heating methods- this depends upon the technology present today to improve and minimise efficiency off heating usage

The above methodologies help us have an energy-efficient building. Net Zero energy building is the building which can produce its own energy within its site.

For example: introducing Solar panels on the rooftop with 23degree -50 degree inclined (can produce maximum energy if the solar panel faces south, as it gets most of the sun radiation through-out the year) or local renewable energy sources.