Your Experiences of Using Electric Vehicles (EVs)

2 posts were split to a new topic: The flight of the Tesla Model X

A post was split to a new topic: The economic smooth running of a VW e-UP

A post was split to a new topic: The Nissan Leaf Trip

A post was split to a new topic: The EV journey to a E-Niro

A post was split to a new topic: Voyaging with a 40kwh Nissan Leaf

Is this true in people’s experience?

A post was split to a new topic: The journey to a speedy Tesla

A post was split to a new topic: Getting a second hand Renault Zoe for my commute

I’m not sure as I hadn’t had a car for over 4 years when we bought ours, so had to start from scratch with zero no claims bonus. The insurance certainly isn’t cheaper than a petrol/diesel car but I don’t think I found it any more expensive than I expected. Having said that, LV are advertising an EV specific insurance and the quote I got on that is more than I’m paying at the moment!

A post was split to a new topic: Touring the UK in an IONIQ

I’m just starting to research electric vehicles and these comments are really helpful. I did not realise there was so much choice. Has anyone experience of the self-charging vehicles (which I think would overcome the range problem)? I was thinking of the Lexus EV for example.

If your looking for a secondhand EV we just got our first -2017 30kW Leaf Tekna- for a great price (under 15K with 8 years battery warranty) from https://drive-green.co.uk/ load of EVs in stock. A really nice company paired with owner Richards other company ‘completely green’ has loads of great info and stuff matching up with the community aims methinks. Puuuuump it.

2 Likes

Good work Greg!!!

1 Like

the self-charging thing is advertising trickery. Longer range is being deployed by many brands imminently… I recommend this video and the channel in general- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQu_ux3y6M

2 Likes

Hello,

I recently sold my BMW i3 (purchased second hand in 2016) - I recorded all expenses incurred over the three years of ownership and have published this in the hope that it’s helpful for anyone considering getting an electric vehicle. I can’t charge at home and rely on the public charge networks, but even with this, the fuel worked out at around 2.19p per mile. It’s over here in a blog post:

Hope this is helpful to someone here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is great. Thanks Tom!

Hi everyone who’s contributed to this topic.

We’re looking to move this topic into a series of topics later this week if you’re all agreeable?

I’m looking to create the following topic titles

@i3Stormtrooper - My journey to an BMW i3

@Richard_Butler - The flight of the Tesla Model X

@Max_B - The economic smooth running of a VW e-UP

@Heatherdlc - The Nissan Leaf Trip (or could add it to your existing blog?)

@satnam - The long-distance Tesla tourer

@John_Riley - The EV journey to a E-Niro

@Kerena_Fussell - Voyaging with a 40kwh Nissan Leaf

@Myk_Debbage - The journey to a speedy Tesla

@ben.langley - Getting a second hand Renault Zoe for my commute

@Bluesmanuk - Touring the UK in an IONIQ

Hope you are all happy that we do this. It will make your posts more findable and promiant and also give you a place where you can add to the topic, which we hope you will be happy to do!

1 Like

Fine by me! Seems like a sensible way to deal with it.

Just to say. I’ve now split the posts into separate topics. It would be great if you could add photos and an update. For a few I’ve asked for this at the bottom…

Thank you everyone :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hi all

Can anyone share experiences of installing an on-street EV charger? I live in central Bristol and do not have off-street parking. I went to chat to our (green) councillor last week and she said that she was going to try and make my case for an on-street charger. She said as I have mobility issues (MS so I have a disabled bay outside my property) then it should be an easier case to make and wanted to make a case study out of it.

Has anyone else had such dealings with a council?

Thanks in advance! Ed

1 Like