Pledge to keep your carbon emissions to 2.5 tonnes by 2030

The Paris Climate Agreement came into force on 4 November 2016 and was signed by 55 countries which account for at least 55% of global carbon emissions. The ambition of this agreement is to keep global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsuis.

This agreement was signed as at 2 degrees there is a high likelihood that run away climate change will occur due to the release of methane from permafrosts, increased naturally occurring fires and from losing Arctic Sea ice that would otherwise reflect solar radiation.

This century could see a 4-6 meter rise in sea levels, swathes of equatorial deserts grow to epic proportions, billions of people being displaced from flooding and desertification, and 1 million species going extinct due to changes in temperature and habitats.

Nothing short of a sea-change in culture is needed to keep global temperatures below 2 degrees. We need to halve global emissions in the 2030s and be at zero in the 2040s. To do this, leaders are needed in every area of life showing what they are doing and demanding change. With 60% of emissions in our direct control, we need not wait for governments to drive change, we can be the change we want to see in the world and make a difference today.

Let’s get on with it… and let’s pledge!

You will be recognised on Better Century for taking this pledge through a badge of honour, and will be given encouragement through this social network to fulfil your pledge.

I pledge to keep my carbon emissions to half that of an average citizen on Earth by 2030. To this, I pledge to:

• Limit my own carbon emissions to at least 2.5 tonnes of CO2 by 2030
  • To encourage my friends and family to do the same
  • To do my utmost to influence organisations, institutions and the government to tackle global warming

0 voters

To understand your budget you should look at the Better Guide to Personal Carbon Emissions.. If you want a deep dive into your own carbon emissions use This calculator, but note that it won’t capture your emissions from food and products bought!

@Jackie_Tait and @Tom have been awarded the badge! Thanks for your pledge!